College Survival Program
College-bound students who are blind or visually impaired have many questions. Questions such as:
- How will I use my college library?
- How do I find my classes?
- How will I read my assignments?
- How do I take exams?
- Where will I get my textbooks?
- How will I meet new friends?
Concerns like these are addressed in the College Survival program at the Orientation Center. This program is designed to help them meet the academic, social and other challenges they will face in college.
Activities in the College Survival Program
- Learning non-visual techniques and develop self-confidence needed for success in college, career and life
- Taking the traditional Orientation classes: Home and Personal Management, Industrial Arts, Cane Travel, Braille and Computer
- Learning many techniques they need to succeed in college, including how to use readers, get texts in alternative media and take notes and exams
- Exploring the career they are pursuing and how to set the goals they must meet to achieve it
- Networking and having fun: touring, hiking and camping are just a few of the activities in which these students participate
Most important, students complete the College Survival Program with a "can do" attitude. They no longer have to rely on others to order their textbooks, arrange their tests or make their life decisions for them. They have polished the techniques and acquired the self-confidence they need to take control of their own lives.
Eligibility & Cost
- Eligible students from both Iowa and out-of-state can be admitted to the College Survival Program.
Note: If space is at a premium, students from other states cannot displace an Iowan who needs training.
- There is no cost for eligible Iowans.
- The cost for out-of-state students is approximately $208.00 per calendar day, excluding any additional expenses for maintenance, transportation and other incidentals.
If you or someone you know is interested in participating in College Survival training, contact the Department for more information.